Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Soundtrack to My Life

As many of you probably know, music is a huge part of my life.  I have forever obsessed about songs, researching and memorizing every single lyric to all of my favorites.  Who am I kidding, I know all the words to the ones I dislike too.   Songs for me are memories.  I can hear a tune and it takes me right back to a certain time in my life.  So I wanted to make a little playlist of my life.  Some of my favorites, and some that (I think) help tell the story of ME.  To be honest, I have more songs to share than time in the day.  No I won't do that to you people.  But this will be a two part soundtrack.  Here's part one.  Enjoy.


First up, this is a favorite of mine because my name is the title.  They spell it Amie, but still sounds the same.  I LOVED hearing this as a kid, and still brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.  My first song is "Amie" from Pure Prairie League.



My parents and sisters know firsthand why "Grandpa" by The Judds made it to my soundtrack. When I hear this song I get two feelings - love and embarrassment.  We loved us some Judds in the Foutch household!!!!  There was a specific incident where I forced my two younger sisters to sit in front of the mirror rehearsing this song over and over.  I really loved it and just knew it would be such a sweet thing for our parents.  It turned out to be a bit of a mess, one that we still to this day look back on and laugh about. I will never ever hear this song and not think of us three girls sitting in front of that mirror (me yelling) for the girls to get serious about practicing this song.  LOL



I can't talk about my soundtrack without adding my favorite song of all time.  It's "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N Roses.  Why is this song my fav ever? I have NO clue! I love it and that's all I have to say about it! No reasons at all! :)



There isn't an Amy Grant song that I don't know every single word to.  I just hear the music without the words and know exactly what it is! I was drawn to Amy Grant when I was in 4th grade.  There are tons of reasons.  Maybe because the only radio station that I knew as a nine year old was good ole WJBD, and Amy Grant was the most new/relevant singer on that station at the time.  Maybe I liked her because (again) it was my name.  Or maybe it was because when I was in "Get Smart" class in 4th grade, a very cool 8th grader (cool as in she was in 8th grade and I wasn't) said I looked like her BAHAHA!   But whatever the reasons, I am for certain that it was the first tape that was ever mine. AND it had all the words to all of her songs in the insert!! So you bet I would rewind those babies over and over until I had learned every single word.  So I really LOVED "Baby, Baby."



I have to add something for my teens/twenties where I was a dancing fool till the break of dawn all night, every weekend!  There are SOOOO many songs that take me back to those good old care free days! But since I can't add them all, I just can't go without "Push It" and "Baby Got Back" to my list of my best dance songs!




This next one is a double whammy. First of all, it's on my favorite movie of all time, Hope Floats.  But after meeting Bryan, it became (for me) a perfect song that describes us.  Those who knew us as a fresh, new couple know that I fell fast and hard for Bryan.  I knew early on that we were supposed to be together.  However, Bryan needed a little more time to realize that I was exactly what he was needing.  Anyway, that's what this song is all about.  Waiting for your person to figure out that you would do just anything for them.  It took five years, but he got there.  And I thank God every day for that.  "My cup runneth over."


"When You Love Someone" by Bryan Adams is the song that Bryan, my husband, and I danced to for our very first song as husband and wife.  I wonder if he remembers this!?!?  HAHA  There's no significant meaning to the song for us, just that it's our first dance song and that it's a sweet love song.  <3



My final track is a very new (and odd) addition to my soundtrack.  Last summer (2015) we drove to Destin for our annual family vaca.   It was long into our 12 hour drive when this song came on.  Bryan, Eric, Kailey, and I were already delirious from our crazy drive and the words to this song just made us all die laughing.  None of us had heard it before, but continued to hear it through the whole vacation and when we got back too.   I'll never forget sitting in the front seat and us saying "Did they just say I can't feel my face when I'm with you?!"  That trip to Destin I will not soon forget since it was such a wonderful time with my family. And this silly song definitely takes me back there every time.




I hope you enjoyed the throwbacks just as much as I did finding them and reminiscing of some awesome chapters in my life.  Check back soon for part two!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment